Posted by & filed under 1890's.

On September 16, 1890, a man dressed in a frock coat and top hat stood on the steps of the Denton County Courthouse and addressed the citizens of Denton, Texas.  President Joshua Crittenden Chilton’ s speech opened the Texas Normal College and Teachers Training Institute, now known as the University of North Texas.  The new educational institution started classes before a site for the campus had been chosen.  After the speech students were directed to a structure on the northwest corner of the square that would serve as the school site for the first year. Read more