From a Sirgur Rós Tour Documentary to the Duran Duran “Duranies” Documentary we’ve got an abundance of music related films. Straight Outta Compton is our newest addition to music related films, and we’ve gone ahead and added a list of some of the the most popular and entertaining movies about music provided by us!
Straight Outta Compton
Walk the Line
I’m Not TherePalindromes you may know what I mean when I say 6 different actors portray Bob Dylan and they recreate different stages in his career. From Greenwich Village folk singer to electric guitar trailblazer to born-again preacher, Bob Dylan is the coolest cat with 6 lives you’ve ever met.
Today is the 46th annual Earth Day celebration! Every April 22nd, we celebrate the world we live in, along with creating awareness about the issues our Earth may be facing.
Renewability, Sustainability, and Reforestation are just a few of the themes that this day is meant to represent. And what better way to embrace Earth Day than to watch some amazing films about Earth? The following list are various documentaries discussing different view points of our planet and the human and animal experience within it.
HomeSpanning 54 countries and 120 locations, Home is like a birds eye view of Earth showcasing both its beauty and vulnerability. DVD 11746
March of the PenguinsFollowing the lives of Emperor Penguins, this documentary takes you into the long journey in these animals lives. The film also brings up the changes the Emperor Penguins and other animals in the Antarctic have been facing recently in their habitats and ways of survival. Plus it’s narrated by Morgan Freeman and Penguins are adorable what more could you want? DVD 5144
Planet Earth SeriesThe classic documentary series we’ve all watched at some point on a lazy class day. The series is the most collective documentation of imagery, music, and astounding footage of some of the world’s most amazing natural wonders. DVD 7472 & Blu-ray 9247
Cowspiracy: the sustainability secretFocusing on themes of Sustainability, Cowspiracy is an environmental documentary about a filmmaker attempting to uncover the most destructive industry facing the planet today and why leading environmental organizations are not talking about it.
Koyaanisqatsi = Life out of balanceKoyaanisqatsi is a Hopi Indian word meaning variously: crazy life, life in turmoil, life disintegrating, life out of balance (the subtitle for this film), and a state of life that calls for another way of life. With inspiring music by Philip Glass, the images in this film gives the audience an idea of manmade environment versus natural environments, leading to its theme of imbalance. DVD 1749
SamsaraThis documentary is an experience like no other. Filmed over a period of almost five years and in twenty-five countries, it explores the wonders of the world from sacred grounds to industrial sites, looking into the unfathomable reaches of man’s spirituality and the human experience. Photographed entirely in 70mm and transferred to 4K digital projection format, its mesmerizing images of unprecedented clarity illuminate the links between humanity and the rest of nature. DVD 13902
UNT will also be having it’s own Earth Day celebrations including the EarthFest, International Fair & Market, and other events collaboratively hosted by Student Activities, UPC, the Office of Sustainability, and UNT-International.
So the season 6 finale of The Walking Dead officially screened April 3rd. Like most people, I’m just anxiously waiting for it to be on Netflix because what college student has a tv & cable. And I mean, what college student even has Netflix except those brave souls willing to share? If you’re sad you can’t watch any more Walking Dead, check out these TV series available at the Media Library. If you dig The Walking Dead, you’ll probably dig these too.
1) Falling SkiesSeason 1 DVD 14749 v.1-3 With Executive Producer Steven Spielburg, Falling Skies has become a major Sci-Fi television series. The world is left in tatters after a unexpected invasion by aliens, leaving the planet’s remaining human population to fight for survival against the occupiers. The aliens have cultures and identities all of their own, and are often portrayed as powerful, mysterious, and merciless. The story starts off by circling around Tom, a guy who is after the aliens that have captured his son and other youth, attaching them to controlling bio-mechanical harnesses. It’s got the survivor, familial, and guy heavy action like The Walking Dead.
2) Sons of AnarchySons of Anarchy, SAMCRO, is series about a motorcycle group dealing with both illegal and legal issues in a town called Charming. Tension in the gang begins when their president and his stepson begin to have differences on how the gang should be run. Its got violence, death, and motorcycles all combined into the idea of identity in this group called Sons of Anarchy. Season 1 DVD 14584 v.1-4
3) Under The DomeUnder the Dome, based on a Stephen King novel, tells the story of a small town in Maine where a massive dome suddenly cuts them off from the rest of the world. Everyone trapped inside has to find a way to surviving as resources diminish and worry rises. What the hell is this dome? Where did it come from? Will it ever go away? Season 1 DVD 15068 v.1-4
4) The KillingThe Killing is a murder mystery series based in Seattle, focusing on murder cases a little differently than your typical homicide TV series. The first season circles around the death of Rosie Larson. Episodes delve into not just the murder case but the girl’s family and their suffering, along with the detectives and other main character’s personal lives. With the dreary Seattle weather combined with foreboding mysteries, The Killing will always keep you wanting more. Season 1 DVD 13870 v.1-4 Season 2 DVD 16467 v.1-3 Season 3 DVD 16468 v.1-3 The Killing is based on the original Danish series, Forbrydelsen, which holds the same basic plot. The Danish series is was a very well received series, known to be a cult classic in Europe, and recognized for acting and the original concept of focusing on one murder case throughout a whole series. Danish Original Series: Season 1 DVD 13854 v.1-5
5) Boardwalk EmpireBoardwalk Empire takes place during the Prohibition of the 1920s and 1930s. Enoch “Nucky” Thompson, played by Steve Buscemi, is a political figure facing his personal and political life dealing with mobsters, politicians, and others. If the idea of mobsters, politicans, guns, and sly talking well dressed people appeals to you, then you’ll enjoy Boardwalk Empire. Season 1 DVD 13116 v.1-5 Season 2 DVD 14926 v.1-5 Season 3 DVD 14869 v.1-5
Turkey legs, mock combat, and anachronistic clothing. These are the things renaissance fairs are made of. You and your friends, new to the scene, try to blend in by adorning yourself with hats and tunics. A good costume is expensive though, and earning coin in a place like this requires some skill… Or daring.
In Ren Faire by Atlas Games, players put on performances, ranging from accents and puppet shows to arm wrestling and balancing acts for the audience to fund their costume building. The first to complete their outfit wins.
In our play through, the competition was tough. Each player chose to focus more on ruining each other’s outfits by buying t-shirts and other modern clothing, and stealing gold than on procuring their own costume. When challenges were made, such as the arm wrestling contest in the photo above, each pushed themselves to the limit to win. By the time our winning Ren Faire attendee, now a Scottish fairy jester, had purchased their last clothing card, our four player game stayed within the listed hour of gameplay, and tons of fun and hilarity had ensued.
This compact card game uses party game mechanics to bring new life to the simple act of piecing outfits together. In addition, the costume stacking element with transparent cards really works well, and capitalizes on a game element rarely seen.
In all, Ren Faire was a blast to play!
We would like to thank Atlas Games for this great donation, as well as their donation of Once Upon a Time, Murder of Crows, Gloom, and Lunch Money.
If you would like to give Ren Faire a try, or another selection from Atlas Games, they are available for check out here, at the UNT Media Library.